- World Health Organization (WHO) formed a high-level expert panel ‘One Health’ to investigate rise in zoonotic diseases. The areas of work include
(a) food safety,
(b) the control of zoonoses (diseases that can spread between animals and humans, such as flu, rabies and Rift Valley Fever), and
(c) combatting antibiotic resistance (when bacteria change after being exposed to antibiotics and become more difficult to treat).
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to pay ₹99,122cr to centre from its profit. In accordance with Section 47 (Allocation of Surplus Profits) of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
- Its foreign currency assets
- By holding of rupees-denominated Bonds and Securities
2. US supports for 15% Global Minimum Tax. It is a minimum corporate tax for company all over the world to pay regardless of which country they are registered.
3. FTX Crypto Cup. Online chess tournament with highest prize $320,000. It will be paid in cryptocurrency
4. International Monetary Fund(IMF) proposed a $50 billion global vaccination plan to cover at least 40% of the global population by the end of 2021 and at least 60% by 2022.
- Punjab Government created ‘Malerkotla’ as the 23rd district of the State
- Ambergris/ ‘whale puke’. A substance formed by a sperm whale’s vomit or faeces. Cost 1cr/kg. Used for making perfumes.
Person in News
- Death: Sunderlal Bahuguna (9Jan 1927- 21May 2021). Initiated the Chipko movement (1973). Also associated with anti-Tehri dam movement in the 1980s. Padma Vibhushan was awarded in 2009.
2. Book: The Battle of Belonging: On Nationalism, Patriotism and What It Means To Be Indian By Shashi Tharoor